Medical Chamber of Schleswig-Holstein
Organizational structure and tasks
The Medical Chamber of Schleswig-Holstein is a public corporation responsible for the medical self management. Its work is based on the "Chamber Law for Health Care professions" (Heilberufegesetz).
Every physician within the federal state of Schleswig-Holstein is member of the Medical Chamber. At present the medical chamber has a total number of 15.497 members, out of which 4.952 work in outpatient and 5.646 in clinical care (31.12.2011). The seat of the Medical Chamber is Bad Segeberg, a small town in the southern part of Schleswig-Holstein. The chamber assembly (Kammerversammlung) is the parliament of the Medical Chamber. The executive committee (Vorstand), consisting of seven physicians chaired by the president, Dr. Franz-J. Bartmann, and the management board (Geschäftsführung) together are responsible for the overall administrational work.
Expert groups deal with specialized questions. Further working groups (Ausschüsse) and commissions care for different aspects within the medical profession.
Our main tasks:
- Representing the professional interests of physicians as well as consulting politics and administration
- Supervising fulfilment of of physicians' professional duties
- Taking care that the professional code of conduct is maintained
- Promoting continuing medical education
- Ruling continuing education and promoting this through information and consultation
- Developing and carrying out means for securing quality in medical treatment
- Organizing the education of medical assistants